The festive occasion of Navratri or Durga Puja – dedicated to worship of goddess Durga is here !
During this festive occasion, devotees of goddess Durga observe fast with full faith and devotion, to seek her blessings.
There are different methods of fasting, followed by different people, but the purpose is the same for all, which is seeking the blessings of goddess Durga.
In the Northern and Western part of the country where Navratri is celebrated, devotees worship and fast for the entire nine days while in case of Durga Puja, people observe the fast for ten days (including Bijoya Dashami) while worship is done on the last four days – Saptami, Ashtami, Navami and Dashami.
“Brato” in Bengali means fasting.
I am sure you all might be searching for Navratri / Durga Puja Fasting Details.
Navratri / Durga Puja Fasting :
Some devotees of Goddess Durga consume only milk during Durga Puja / Navratri fasting days while some only have fruits.
Some devotees take one complete meal during the day.
Non-vegetarian food, intoxicating substances and other forms of entertainment are completely avoided during the fasting days.
At the end of the fasting period or on Durga Ashtami, devotees worship little girls whom they consider to be a form of Goddess Shakti.
Some devotees even distribute food and sweets to beggars after the fasting period ends.
Navratri / Durga Puja Fast Rules & Rituals :
- Eat one meal a day and with one sitting.
- The food which you can eat during Durga Puja fast should be cooked without onions and garlic and should be a pure vegetarian meal.
- Devotee may first offer the prayers and food to goddess Durga and then eat the meal as prasad.
- Do chant name of Godess Durga, say “Jay Mata Di” or chant Durga Mantra before starting and after finishing the meal, preferably 9 times.
- If possible, take the meal after sunset.
- During the rest of the day, fruits, juices, milk and kheer can be taken. (This purely depends on the devotee, as with what strictness he is observing the fast)
- Please be noted that it is not a compulsion to keep fasts for devotees who have health problems, medical reasons or for any other problems.
- Try and sleep on the floor during this period.
- Do not shave or cut hair during this period.
- Try and avoid wearing black cloths and leather materials like leather cloths, belts, handbags, etc during the period of fasting.
- The devotee observing the fasts should avoid sensual and procreation activities during this period.
Try and visit Maa Durga temple and offer prayers and Aarti daily during this period of Navratri / Durga Puja, while you are fasting.
Note : Soon we will have Navratri / Durga Puja Fasting Recipes on our website for our readers. Visit again.